Monday, February 25, 2008

First post!

Small Bones, Small Bodies
By Future of the left


Future of the left is one of the only new bands this year that have interested me. Half of the band migrated from the legendary Welsh band "McClusky" which you may have heard before, probably. You should be able to tell from the lead singer, he's got a really particular voice.
This is a lot more like McClusky's earlier stuff, more manic and angry, kinda punkish I guess. Also, the lyrics are pretty funny. The rest of the album I'm still a little unsure of, but there are at least 2 other awesome songs.



Well Thought Out Twinkles
By Silversun pickups


Silversun pickups hit the scene in a pretty big way about mid last year, very much out of nowhere. They even toured here straight off the bat, and played at the valley mall fiesta (typically they only get local bands, so for a while I thought these guys were from brisbane).
Anyway, the Pickups get compared to Smashing Pumpkins a lot, they kind of have the same feel to thier music, but I think they are a lot more grounded than Billy Corgan is. And as far as I can tell, they don't like to pretend they are vampires either.
For such a rad song like this, thier album was a little bit of a let down. There is one more song, Lazy Eye, thats pretty good but it didn't do much for me. It is kinda angsty tho, so it may suit this new angsty teenage boy on the internet taste in music you have :P



Inner West Girls
By Dave McCormack and The Polaroids


Dave McCormack is awesome! You may know him as Dave McCormack from Custard, or Dave McCormack from The Titanics, or Dave McCormack from that time he played "Set controls for the heart of the sun" on a Sitar for John Safrons Musical Jamboree...
Regardless, He's like an unsung hero of Australian music. I've even met him before and he's a great guy!
Anyway, I always thought he lived in Brisbane, and since we were living in the inner-west of Brisbane, I liked to think this song had some relevance. Not coz we were a bunch or girls or anything, but just because. Anyway, then I found out he actually lives in Sydney, and this song was written about that.
It's a little older, But I only got the album sometime in the last 3 years. Also, at one point I could play the riff for this song on the bass. Rock on.


1 comment:

aliesha said...

What an awesome blog! Couldn't think of a better reason to write one myself =D. I like the three songs you put up. Probably the last two more then the first one, but it grows on me as I listen to it more. Also, thanks for the little blurbs on each song, it's great!

Next lot when you're ready please!