Wednesday, April 9, 2008

God Save the Queen- More songs from Ol' Blighty

Only Lovers Left Alive
By The Long Blondes


The Long Blondes are the definition of (and indeed, the only band I can think of off the top of my head that says their style is) Glam Punk. To be honest, I don't really know all that much about this band. Originally, I thought they were an American band, their music kind of reminds me of 50's, down at the milk parlor, rock and roll... but they are in fact from Sheffield, England.
I was surprised to realise that I knew (and liked!) so many of the songs from their first album, but its not something I listen to often. But when I'm in the mood its a pretty solid effort.

Eddie's Gun
By The Kooks


EDDIE'S GUN IS 1 MINUTE AND 59 SECONDS OF PURE AWESOME. LIKE THIS DESCRIPTION, IT'S SHORT AND ROCKIN'.

The Coast Is Always Changing
By Maximo Park


Maximo Park are an unbelievably great band that I'm ashamed that I: a) Still haven't seen live, and b) Have waited this long to bring up (See also: The Hives , Belle & Sebastian et al...).
Anyway, picking just one song from their 2 albums was ridiculously tough, I really think I'll have to do a post just for them one day. Anyway, I eventually chose their first single simply because sometimes its good to start at the start and also because its fun to shout out along with the chorus. Especially when you are wearing headphones. And surrounded by strangers.

Special Bonus Track!
Chicken Payback
By The Bees


Eddie's gun is a tiny little song, so since I have a little extra space, I thought I might just chuck up this last song.
Whenever I hear this song, for some reason I think of a cooking montage where I'm dancing around the kitchen, performing different tasks and generally preparing dinner (well.. I also think of animals dancing and receiving money, but thats a little more obvious). ANYWAY, I've tried many a time to make my cooking montage fantasy a reality to this song, but theres not much decent food you can prepare in just over 3 minutes. Maybe one day...

No comments: