Sunday, October 5, 2008

Random songs for random times.

Something Is Not Right With Me
By Cold War Kids

I couldn't really pick a running theme with the songs this week, nothing was really jutting out at me. But the same thing happened last week only to be saved at the last moment by terrible breakfast cereal analogies. I'm hoping I can tap into that magic again this week. Terrible analogy magic. About American politics. That seems like a good place to start.

If this song was an analogy for a current world even it would be like the wall market crash. The singer portrays himself not as wall street but as an outsider, out of the loop in a materialistic sense, calling people collect and having to borrow money for the jukebox. Yet, he asks if there's something wrong with him that he doesn't feel the need to be driven by similar desires and considers himself better off when it all goes to crap.

Kind of.

On My Shoulders
By The Do

This song is surely about Hillary Clinton missing out on her chance at running for president. If real life were more like a musical, this would be Hillary's solo about halfway through, Torn between Bill and Obama but also between her hopes and dreams... Bill and Obama doing some kinda of interpretive dance in the background in the moonlight.

Caught By The Fuzz
By Supergrass

My knowledge of American politics is pretty limited, indeed, as is my knowledge of current events.... So I'm a little stretched for this one. It's a pretty simple song though...

I can change it to Australia politics and say its a reflection of Malcolm Turnball's previous drug use when he was younger.

DONE AND DUSTED.

No comments: