Sunday, March 9, 2008

Australian Bands, Attempt no.2! Attack of the "The" bands.

Trampoline
By The Grates


The Grates were/maybe still are the darlings of the local indie/alternative scene, even more so because they are from Brisbane. Sometimes we even see Patience and John (singer and guitarist respectively) out in the valley.
Regardless, this song is pretty old, I'm pretty sure you might have heard it on a Jay Jay's ad sometime ages ago... But this is the one off of their album. It's still as rocking as ever. The Grates are a little bit of a mixed bag tho, I love them coz their music is so fun and upbeat, but I know some people, i.e. Vic, who doesn't like them coz they are a bit childish. I mean, i can see his point (last time I saw Patience, she was dressed up as Peter Pan and their back up band was dressed as pirates) but its always going to be about the music for me... Plus she's cute in green tights.

Buffet
By The Cants


Another kind of old one that you've probably heard before, pre-album, the difference is, I think we used to think the lyrics were "I like a Puppy....".
Still, puppies or not, its still a great song. I actually bought their album for another song that was awesome at the time called "Not Cool Enough For You" and this song just happened to be on the album. It was a happy coincidence. There is another cool song on there called "Complications" but the rest of the album is just kinda average. I haven't heard of these guys doing anything after this album (I haven't even seen them tour to Brisbane) so I don't know if they are still around.
Their band name is kind of dirty if you say it with a scottish accent.

Baby^2
By The Drones


Also known as Baby Squared, but not Baby Baby.
The Drones smashed their way onto the music scene about 2 years ago with their ridiculously long titled "Wait long by the river and the bodies of your enemies will float by" album. They gained a fair amount of cult status, due to their almost country-influenced sounds.
This song is deceptive tho, its straight up rock and roll and it sounds very out of place with the rest of their stuff. Not that the rest of the album is that bad, theres "Shark Fin Blues" and off there follow up album there is "I Don't Ever Want To Change". They are pretty good live tho...

No comments: