Thursday, March 20, 2008

Good Friday Special! - Men with long hair and possibly facial hair who died too young.

Can't Make A Sound
By Elliot Smith


Probably the man with the least facial hair on this list today. Elliot Smith died age 34 from 2 (supposedly self inflicted) stab wounds. It's a terrible shame that the world lost such a great song writer, but listening to his music you could kind of see it coming. There are so many good songs by him that its hard to narrow it down to just one (I might send you some more later) but today I've chosen this one because I really like the build up towards the end.

Long Hot Summer Night
By Jimi Hendrix


Jimi Hendrix is the Black Jesus of the guitar. Jimi died age 28 of suspicious circumstances (also possibly self inflicted). Still though, his legacy still lives on today with anyone who plays guitar. I chose this song, out of the massive amount of his other good songs because its currently my favorite one at the moment and its also a little more hopeful and up beat than the other ones one the list today. Of course, its a little less relevant since we are no longer in summer at the moment, but who cares...

Last Goodbye
By Jeff Buckley


If I have never played you this song, then I feel I have failed as a man because this is the kind of song you play to a girl that then leads on to making out. It's the kind of song I'd sing on at a karaoke bar or on Australian Idol to try and impress all the indie girls, except then I'd have to be compared to Jeff Buckley and eventually lose massive face for being a pale imitation.

Anyway, I've had this song for aaaaages. Like, when I first moved to Townsville ages. It's always been one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. A lot of Jeff's other songs are also great, he wasn't as prolific as Elliot Smith, but his songs are still as important to modern music, if not more so. He died aged 31 from an accidental drowning. I guess it just doesn't pay to be a great singer songwriter...

No comments: