Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Girl Pianists FTW

Dirty Business
By The Dresden Dolls


Once upon a time I had the chance to see the Dresden Dolls live, but I think to get in you had to dress up mime style and plus I found out about it a little too late, and there was no guarantee I'd get in anyway. Plus there was no chance of anyone else I knew wanting to go. All those factors added up and I never went. I kind of wish I did go tho, since I really actually like their stuff. But I guess thats a lesson learnt right there. I shoulda known, I always have a soft spot for piano heavy music.

Samson
By Regina Specktor


You've probably already heard "Fidelity" and "On The Radio" (and possibly her cover of John Lennon's "Real Love") but they aren't piano-y enough for this post. Also, I've been pulling too many songs you already know the last couple of posts, so its time to get a little more obscure. This one is off of her first (and only I think) album "Begin To Hope". Regina's got an amazing voice but you can never really tell if some of her stuff is real or edited, but this is a relatively stripped back and sweet song, probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite from the album.

I Don't Blame You
By Cat Power


This has always been one of my favorite songs, from the first time I heard it ages ago, but it wasn't until recently I remembered to actually get it. I've never seen her live, but reviews of her live shows vary greatly. Sometimes shes unbelievable and sometimes shes total crap. Apparently she once just walked out on a show once in Sydney because she wasn't getting into it. A lot of people think this song is about the way she feels about playing live and having to follow a tour schedule. Some times, she just doesn't want to play.... and I don't blame her.

If, for some reason, I'm ever doing like a version on Triple J, this is the song I wanna do...

Special Encore!:
Girl Anachronism
By The Dresden Dolls


I had a little extra space this week, so I thought I might just put up an extra song. There are so many bands I've put up so far where 1 song doesn't do them justice. I mean, eventually I'll get around to putting some more up in other posts or something, but still.... Too much good music!

Anyway, I've already talked a little about the Dresdens... So I'd just like to point you to the film clip for this song. Listening to this song theres a lot to take in but it never hit me until I saw the film clip how furious the drumming in this song is. Seriously, that guys a freak. It's like his torso doesn't move but his arms just go wild. There should be more of it.

No comments: