Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Other sounds of Britain you may have missed.

Shoot The Runner
By Kasabian


This band was actually introduced to me by a guy I worked with at Coles. Since its a kinda transient job place, we would often get a lot of backpackers and what have you work for a little time, and then move on. Back in the old country, he used to work at a bar where they'd get a lot of the up and coming new bands to play, so he told me about some of them that he got to see live. Kasabian was, according to him, the next big thing.
He was a big fan of "The Reason is Treason" from their first album, but I prefer this one from their second, most probably for the line "I'm a king and she's my queen, bitch!". The other top song off this album is "Empire", which is still pretty catchy, but in my ears, not quite as good.



Golden Skans
By Klaxons


At one point, Klaxons were the golden boys of the British music scene. Their debut album, "Myths of the near Future" kinda blew everything else away. I have a feeling its because they went in a different direction from what everyone else was trying to do, i.e. be the new arctic monkeys. The Klaxons however, choose to give themselves an electro/dance feel and it payed off for them.
The rest of the album isn't that bad either.... Definite stand out tracks are "Gravity's Rainbow" and "Two Receivers". They also got asked to do a song with the chemical brothers, which the chemical bros almost regretted because apparently the Klaxons turned up and only wanted to record covers of Pink Floyd songs or something. I think they did end up recording something, but im stuffed if I can remember what...



Direct Hit
By Art Brut


Art Brut is latest band on this list today, they put out their debut album late last year and were in direct competition with The Wombats for the unofficial "New Arctic Monkeys" award. They didn't win, but its ok... I think these guys are more like Franz Ferdinand anyway. I mean, 1) distinctive accent, 2) vague art, literature and historical references (although not in this song) and 3) songs about dancing (relevant to this song).
Out of all the new brit bands I kind of dug these guys the most. I mean, their album wasn't hit after hit like the big bands of yore, but its still a little different and even though the lead singer sounds a little retarded sometimes, he has a knack for writing good lyrics. Plus this song does exactly what it says its about, it makes you wanna get out and dance! Like a retarded Welshman...


No comments: